Monday, June 21, 2010

Ich bin im Deutschland!

Hallo aus Deutschland!

I am now in Munich, my third stop of the trip, drinking an espresso, like a true European. It was hard to say goodbye to Prague, perhaps my favorite city I’ve ever been to. I went out to a couple bars the other night with a few guys from the hostel – a Canadian, a German, an American, an Australian, and an Argentinian. It was really cool to chat with people from other countries like this, and was interesting to hear what they thought about America and how their lives were like in their own countries.

Yesterday I slept through my 9 AM train (was a bad idea to book that early), but hopped on a bus to Nuremburg and from there a one-hour train to Munich. I had some time to walk around Nuremburg, and it was a cool little city - it had a big pedestrian-only section (as most cities in Europe seem to have).

I arrived in Munich around my originally scheduled time (surprisingly), and headed out to explore the city.

Today I woke up and headed to the Residenz Museum, where the rulers of Bavaria lived until 1918. There was some beautiful architecture, paintings, and furniture inside. But the audio tour seemed to drag on and give incredibly long explanations of mundane details of each chair and table in every room.

I exited the museum and did the next logical activity - ate a bratwurst and drank a beer. The bratwurst was delicious, and so was the beer, a half-liter of Hacker-Pschorr brand Munchen Dunkel (dark beer) in a trademark dimpled mug. I sat around the beer garden having this and watching Portugal vs North Korea. Unfortunately I have no pictures of this, as my camera battery died in the Residenz Museum.

I now plan to walk around and explore some of the reamining Munich attractions, and tomorrow I will be taking a day trip to Dachau (concentration camp about 30 min away).

Auf Wiedersehen,
Colin

3 comments:

  1. Hi Col,

    I hope you can find a camera shop and get your battery recharged! Everyone loves your blog, we talked about it at Father's Day yesterday in York Beach. Marjorie is trying to get me to go to Albania and Macedonia in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! I want to see pictures from Dachau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Col,

    Now bratwurst and beer, seems like a theme going on!
    Should be very sobering to go to Dachau. It must be haunted with so many tortured souls.
    We need more cafe life in the US, don't you think?

    MB

    ReplyDelete