Thursday, June 17, 2010

Czeching in from Prague

Ahoj!

Just got into Prague this morning after a 14.5 hour train ride from Amsterdam. Passed through Berlin, saw some nice Czech landscapes as we followed along a river, but not too much else exciting about the ride.



When I arrived in Prague I checked into my hostel, then immediately set out to explore the city. I first went to the Old Town Square, where there was a giant screen set up to show world cup games, and all kinds of street vendors selling beer and grilled food. At noon, there was a special chime for the town clock, as some windows on the building opened up and these skeletons came out and started moving around, while a guy on the top played the trumpet.



Next, I went to see Charles Bridge, the most famous bridge of Prague. It is lined with beautiful statues and mobbed with tourists. There are WAY more tourists here in Prague than there was in Amsterdam.




But the bridge was a nice walk, and from there, I went up a ton of steps to Prague Castle.



Prague Castle was absolutely amazing. It overlooks the rest of the city from a big hill, and you have to walk through a big gate to get to it - with guards standing on each side of the gate. I went inside, and saw the interior of this beautiful church.



Overall, I already like Prague much better than Amsterdam, and think it is an incredible city. Great architecture, friendly people, good food and beer. I am going to try and catch the Celtics/Lakers Game 7 from a bar out here (at 3 AM) - I already heard of one place that may have it.

I'll update again later - maybe before heading to Munich on Sunday.

Sbohem! (Bye!)

Colin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Col,

    Wow, I love hearing about Prague. It is on my "go to" list. Your blog is really fun to read. I think you have a calling in photo journalism!

    Sbohem! to you too!

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is enjoying your blog Col. Nice pictures and great text. I hope you are meeting some interesting people from all around the world.

    ReplyDelete